Saturday, April 30, 2011

Moving Right Along...

Originally Posted on July 27, 2005


People wondered whether Jay-Z truly "retired" as a recording artist. He did emerge as an executive for the parent label of his own Roc-A-Fella and still collect his cash from his other enterprises. However, Mr. Shawn Carter also knows something that I do about "staying power."

Sometimes you have to bless the past, leave it back there, then, going forward, do something even better.

Looking back, I had my share of joy and pain with Gen-X Bears. I was at the point in late 1998 where I walked away from it and left it for those running it to make it or break it. Apparently, they made it a success, but they also pissed off a lot of people. The movement almost was destroyed twice because people's own petty behaviors.

My intention this year was to honor that past. In the past week, I felt as I need to simply let go and, as Stockard Channing said in "Six Degrees of Separation," consider the chapter an "anecdote."

I was hoping people would come together and celebrate. I was hoping people would stop being selfish and nascissistic and find a way to bridge any strife and heal from it. In the end, people no longer cared about the space they used as a diving board into their own cleverness and vanity.

What am I now? I'm just a guy. I live in Minnesota. I have a small group of wonderful friends and acquaintances that I love hanging out with locally. I also have other friends strung out across state lines and time zones. I pour my soul into my writing. This is I what I've become. That is where I want to be right now.

As far as I'm concerned, Gen-X Bears is now an anecdote. Shall we move on?

No comments:

Post a Comment